A lick mat is a great way to keep your kitty entertained - and it can even help with their grooming habits. But what should you put on a lick mat for your cat? Here are a few ideas to get you started.
One of the great things about lick mats is that they can be used with either wet or dry food. So, if you're trying to figure out what to put on a lick mat for your cat, the options are really endless. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Wet food is a great option for cats who love to lick their food off of a spoon or bowl. Simply put a small amount of wet food on the mat and let your kitty go to town!
- You can also use wet food as an "interactive" treat by hiding it in toys or under things on the mat. This will give your cat something to do while they're licking up their food - and it'll help them burn off some extra energy, too.
- Some cats prefer their wet food to be a little warmer than room temperature. If this is the case with your kitty, you can put the mat in the microwave for a few seconds before adding the wet food. Just be sure to test the temperature of the food before letting your cat eat it. You don't want to risk burning their delicate mouths!
- Dry food can be sprinkled directly onto the lick mat - no need to add water first. Just make sure that you don't use too much, as your cat may not be able to eat it all and it'll just end up going to waste.
- You can also use dry food as an "ingredient" in homemade lickable treats. For example, you could mix together some dry food, yogurt, and honey to make a yummy treat that's perfect for licking. Or, try mixing together some dry food, cream cheese, and finely chopped catnip for another delicious option. Just be sure not use too much of any one ingredient, as this could make the treat too rich for your cat's stomach.
- Some cats prefer their dry food to be a little softer than usual. If this is the case with your kitty, you can soak the dry food in water for a few minutes before adding it to the mat. This will help soften it up and make it more palatable for your cat. Again, just be sure to test the temperature of the softened food before letting your cat eat it - you don't want it to be too hot!
Lick mats are a great way to keep your kitty entertained - and they can even help with their grooming habits. Lick mats come in different shapes and sizes, with different textures and patterns.
There are lots of options! Whether you opt for wet or dry food, there are plenty of delicious - and nutritious - choices available. Just be sure not to overdo it on the ingredients (especially if you're making homemade lickable treats) and always test the temperature before letting your kitty dig in. Bon appetit! Check out our 6 top lick mats for dogs as there are a few that are purffect for your furry feline.